languages

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Thu Mar 9 22:10:50 2000

The concept of immersion makes sense to me. I came to the U.S. in '52 with
nary a word of English under my belt. I was admitted to the local school
system in first grade, regular classes, with no interpreter anywhere in the
building. That was PS49 in the New York school system. I was later moved
to PS20 where even fewer folks spoke German fluently. Within 6 weeks my
performance was improving to such extent that my language skills were to a
state in which they were not perceived by the teachers to be an impediment.
It didn't hurt that there were lots of Yiddish-speaking merchants in the
neighborhoods through which I walked to and from school. Yiddish is quite
similar to German and certainly makes conversation easier.

Note that I said it took 6 weeks to "catch on" and not the seven or eight
years it typically takes here with the ESL/ESOL programs. If a person has
no reasonable alternative, particularly if that person's young and flexible,
and not fet a bunch of SH*T from the community and from the government,
he/she can learn enough to get by in school, which is more than what's
needed to "get by" in life. I think it's the motivation, not the age,
though. If an adult is motivated to communicate effectively, the road isn't
long, though it may be harder than for a kid.

Dick