languages (Ebonics)

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Sat Mar 11 12:01:28 2000

> I use dialect in some of my writing, but there are certainly purposes and
> occasions where it is inappropriate. In those, I would use standard
> English. Here in New England we speak differently, although the
> dialect is not as extreme as BEV, an is mostly pronunciational. Notice
> how media insists on a standard pronunciation, that's why all our local
> tv new readers sound like foreigners. It's really amusing to hear them
> try to say Quonnochontaug for the first time.

Same her in Germany, but considering the practice in (German) Swiss TV,
where interviews are DOUBBED or SUBTITELED in Standard German, we are
still on the good side. They realy sub title them ... it's always a
strange thing - hearing a person speaking German (Well, Schwitzerduetsch)
and tead German subtitles ... Belive it or not, they are not just adding
them when guy's from the behind the forest are interviewed, but always.

That's Strange!
H.

--
VCF Europa am 29./30. April 2000 in Muenchen
http://www.vintage.org/vcfe