The C programming language

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Sat Mar 11 11:32:53 2000

<I've been noticing the same thing when going source diving in the Linux
<kernel and lots of other places. I think 5% would be a pretty generous
<guess there (unless you count all the copyright crap and credits), most of
<the time there isn't a single comment anywhere on the screen I'm looking at

Minix a simpler teaching OS that is unix like is likely the most liberally
commented code I've seen, maybe 5%, 10 if you wrap the book around it.

<If you can lay your hands on unstripped sources to DEC PDP-11 OSes,
<they're really nice examples of well-commented assembly language (no I'm
<not kissing ass, I haven't seen the full RT sources so I wouldn't even know

I have seen RT11 bare and commented. Bare is readable, the commented stuff
is something more, much more. It covers the wacky why'd the do that stuff.

<that interests me, and even then half the time I just have to fill it with
<printfs and recompile to see what it actually does, since I can't figure
<out what it's *supposed* to do.

I do that with Coldfusion (web server middleware), Qbasic4.5 because the
debugers (if they exist) arent able to tell me what I want the way I want
it.

Allison