Survey: Vintage Computer Collecting

From: Earl Evans <retro_at_retrobits.com>
Date: Sat Mar 11 18:45:28 2000

Hello everybody,

I'm a reasonably new member of the list. I've been collecting vintage
computers for about a year now, and have decided to put up a web site
dedicated to vintage computing. The website is located at:

    http://www.retrobits.com

I'd like to ask for your help in completing a survey. Here are the
details:

I'm going to launch the first edition of retrobits.com on March 15th.
In that edition, I'd like to include an article about collecting vintage
computers. It would be helpful to include a wide variety of people's
experiences with collecting - therefore, I'm inviting you to fill out a
brief survey about vintage computer collecting. If you have the time
and can participate, you'd really help me out, as well as helping out
other folks who are interested in collecting (or just getting started).

If you would like to respond, please send the responses directly to me
to avoid cluttering the list (unless you believe others in the list
would be interested in your responses, in which case, go for it!). My
e-mail address is:

    retro_at_retrobits.com

Note: I will NOT give out your e-mail addresses to anybody, period, end
of discussion. If you'd like to be credited by name for your
participation in the survey, let me know and I'll be happy to do it.

Here are the questions:

1: Why do you collect vintage computers?

For instance: nostalgia, programming, historical interest, gaming

2: Where do you collect vintage computers?

For instance: thrift shops, garage sales, eBay, other auction sites

3: What advice would you give someone just starting out collecting?

For instance: what to avoid, how to restore dirty/broken systems

Extra credit: I'd be really interested to hear what computers people
collect (e.g., micros or minis, brands, age range)

Thanks in advance for your participation! Look for the first results on
March 15th. As more responses come in over time, I'll upgrade the
collecting area on the site with the additional details!

Earl Evans