Why etc.

From: Technoid_at_cheta.net <(Technoid_at_cheta.net)>
Date: Sun Mar 12 12:26:04 2000

>1: Why do you collect vintage computers?

    I have been at computing for quite a few years and so nostalgia plays
a role. In those early times I was young, had no money, and the gear I
collect now would have cost tens of thousands to purchase. So I get to
play with the 'Impossible Toy' a little later than I would have liked.
These machines come cheap nowadays and in my computing heart-of-hearts the
machine is brand new and it is still 1983 or whatever year is appropriate.

    Challenge is a big thing for me. I don't collect simple machines or
ones I know I can't repair as they won't scratch the itch of actually
tinkering with and learning a system. I particularly like finding ways to
network disparate systems together. It is the first thing I go for once I
have a stable system built. Full system backups are another thing I go
for right off. The goal for backup is a full bootable, restorable backup
which will have everything you need to bring the machine back up after a
hard disk swap or a low-level format.

>2: Where do you collect vintage computers?

    Just about everywhere. Computer Parts Barn for all kinds of
minicomputer stuff and just about everything else. Often the machines are
'donated' by people who have a glimmer of appreciation for them and so for
why I collect, restore, and USE them. I think they get a kick out of
knowing thier arcane computer gear is still alive and thriving in my
basement, living room, bathroom, bedroom, dining room....

    I scope the thrift stores at irregular intervals and keep an eye out
for discarded/neglected computer gear. I like 80's micros quite a bit and
would like a full-blown COCO system very much so I have my eyes peeled for
one. Trading is something I have allways done but its hard when we are
all so geographically scattered. I envy the folks in California one thing
and that is community. They have a dense enough population to be
organized at retro/vintage computing. The same goes for those wierdos in
Rhode Island ;-)

>3: What advice would you give someone just starting out collecting?

1) Think twice if it does not function. Fixing it is gonna be a bitch. It
also may be part of the fun!

2) You can never have enough paper towels, windex, ScotchBrite, screws,
shunts, ajax, Iso Alcohol, sponges, paper for notes, space, light,
outlets, patience, powerbars, wire, pens, media, test equipment, smarts.

3) Allways note the power requirements for a big system. You might save
yourself a ton of effort moving it if you discover you can't provide power
for it.

4) Examine unlabeled media before re-using it. It may have something COOL
on it you want.

5) Red pencil erasors are excellent for cleaning card edge connectors.

6) Make full-system backups continuously and religiously whenever there is
significant change. Preferably on more than one media type.

7) Realize that even if the machine was a gift it may cost you to get it
running or to provide a function you want. Even retro computing costs
money. Sometimes lots.

8) You do not need a scanning electron microscope, a side scan infrared
camera, a missile guidence computer, or any other boondoggle. Especially
if you are married and value your privalege of taking up every spare nook
with your hobby. Sun4 yes, standing room only no.

9) You don't need a clean-room to fix an old hard drive, just a Clean
Room. Don't smoke while you are inside it and monitor it like a hawk if
you intend to use it for any extended period after repairs.

10) Is documentation available? It may also cost you and you may not be
going anywhere without it.

11) Can you get boot media and IPL media for it? If not it will just sit
there and look pretty to others but you will KNOW it is dead every time
you look at it. Some collectors don't mind but I can't stand a dead
machine.

>Extra credit: I'd be really interested to hear what computers people
>collect (e.g., micros or minis, brands, age range)

I collect 70's and 80's micros and 80's/90's minicomputers, workstations,
mainframes if feasable.

Atari 8-bits:

130xe
1200xl
800xl
600xl
800
400
several duplicates
related peripherals and software
several duplicates

Atari 16/32 bits:

1040st (1mb ram) (two of them)
Mega ST4 (4mb running MiNT with 2gb scsi hard disk)
related peripherals and software (slim)

CP/M 8bits:

Kaypro II
SWP ATR8000
SWP ATR8500 (serial # 5 !!!) Bet no one has hear about this machine. Any
takers on that bet?

Data General:
MV4000DC Minicomputer, 8mb, 120mb+70mb, 16 line terminal controller, tape
drives etc. Networked via ethernet and tcp/ip.

Operating systems experience, and (maybe) documentation:

All the many mutually compatible DOSes for the Atari 8-bit including
Spartados and Spartados X, MyDOS, TopDos, DOS XL, DOS 4, DOS 3, DOS XE.

TOS, MiNT, SUSE Linux, RedHat Linux, Yggdrasil Linux, Slackware Linux,
Mandrake Linux, Caldera Linux, SCO Unix 5, AOS/VS, AOS/VS II, OS/2,
Solaris, Novell Netware, Windows 3.x, Windows 9x, Windows NT, MSDOS,
various MSDOS clones, CP/M v2.2, MPM, CP/M86, Pick, Prodos, Concurrent
CP/M, Concurrent DOS, OS/9, Minix, SUNOS, OS/2 Warp Server, GEM, CP/M68k,
Nova/MV ADES/ADEX ( a tape-based diagnostic OS ), MTOS ( a multitasking OS
on Mostek 6502 ), a little MACOS, a little AmigaDOS and Workbench
'sticktime', various other BSD-derived Unices, Windows CE (not much to
it). Probably a couple more I missed.

Your mileage may vary from OS to OS as to skill level but I can install
all of the installable ones and network all the networkable ones and do
normal system chores on all of them. Hear me roar.

Operating systems I would like to know or know better:

All of them but particularly; SUNOS and Solaris on Sparc (my sticktime is
on x86 platform), Windows NT on Alpha, OS400, MacOSX, MiNT (would like to
have FPU, MMU, and virtual memory), Linux on 68k, DG/UX on my MV machine
or an Aviion, MPM (MultiUser CP/M) - I don't have a multi-cp/m machine -
my sticktime was on a friend's machine, MV ADEX v12 and up (anyone know
the algorithm used to calculate the key?), AIX, OS/2 for Power PC, Ultrix.

I would also like a Coleco ADAM.

Thanks for asking.

Jeffrey S. Worley
Technical Services
Bits & Bytes Computer Services Inc.
1979B Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803
828-684-8953 - voice 0900-1700 five days
828-687-9284 - 24hr fax
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Technoid_at_Cheta.net