The C programming language

From: Glenatacme_at_aol.com <(Glenatacme_at_aol.com)>
Date: Sun Mar 12 21:53:31 2000

Megan wrote:

> Unfortunately, it appears that those who advocate and write in C
> and other such structured languages appear to have lost the ability
> to comment their code (at least it seems that way from all the code
> I look at at work -- I would say a mere 5% is really commented).
>
> They appear to assume that C code is itself sufficient commenting...
>
> It doesn't work.

This may well be true, but C programmers are not the only offenders. The
worst period of my career was converting COBOL gorilla-code to C. The
unstructured, uncommented COBOL code was in some cases so indecipherable that
I simply dug out the original spec and threw the COBOL away. Unfortunately,
this wasn't always possible . . .

I myself heavily comment my C code, since I have to maintain it and can't
always rely on my failing memory ;>)

Glen Goodwin
0/0