Icom Attache: What is it?

From: James Willing <jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 00:48:21 2000

At 06:07 PM 3/12/00 GMT, you wrote:
>I was doing a little snooping a while back & I came across a computer called
>the Icom Attache. It sounded like an intresting computer, unfortunately, I
>can't find anything about it! What is it? Is it an OEM-ed Otrona Attache, a
>regular PC-Compatible laptop, or is it something completely different?
>David Vohs, Digital Archaeologist & Computer Historian.

Well... if it is the unit I am thinking of, (and I have an Otrona Attache
and they are nothing alike) this should be a unit about the size of an
electric typewriter, vaguely resembling one with a tan (I think) humpback
case, and a keyboard on the (lowered) front.

On the rear various connectors for power, video, probably a serial port or
two...

Close? Ok. For the internals, you will find an S-100 backplane usually
populated with MITS cards and an ICOM disk controller.

This was one of the last gasp attempts to 'civilize' (or should that be
'sanitize'?) the S-100 buss based system for the masses. Soon after Pertec
has acquired (enveloped?) both ICOM and MITS, they released this beast in
an attempt to compete for the market targeted by Processor Technology with
the SOL.

Initially (IIRC) released under the MITS brand, it was also released with
an ICOM brand hoping to trade on the ICOM name. Neither attempt seemed to
work very well...

-jim

---
jimw_at_computergarage.org