Red Erasors

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 11:22:40 2000

The eraser I always saw recommended was a "pink pearl" which was in commonly
available supply at any office supply store.

I never bought into the notion that the substance I was removing was
"corrosion" for the simple reason that the backplane connectors and the
PCB's were gold-plated. Since the eraser always left a clean gold plated
edge connector, I quickly concluded it was dirt and not corrosion that was
accumulating at the interface between PCB and backplane. I found much less
of this occurring in clean environments where dust didn't accumulate in the
equipment cabinets, so I did what I thought necessary to exclude dust from
all the cabinetry, and, guess what! ...
 There was much less "corrosion" in the cleaner boxes than in the dirty
ones.

Dust doesn't cause corrosion, does it? It could cause abrasion, but I doubt
that's at the root of these problems.

My question would have to be, "How do you clean the backplane connectors?

Dick