PDP-11 Emulator Question

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 11:50:36 2000

--- allisonp_at_world.std.com wrote:
> The chip in that thing is a Pentium180?

A "WinChip 180" - kinda like a P-180 with extra stuff onboard to implement
video on the CPU and use main memory as video memory (kinda like what the
Amiga does, but not exactly). It's its own thing designed to reduce part
count and manufacturing cost.

> Tell me more about this, is the LCD part of it??

Yes. The idea is that you buy their box for cheap and give them $250+
per year in ISP fees, subsidizing the hardware. I'm going to go look
at one at CC at lunch and see if you buy the unit over the counter and
_then_ sign up when you bring the box home. I expect that they charge
$199 at CC and you get $100 off your usage time. Even so, $200 for an
integrated box that is reconfigurable isn't bad. I bought a proprietary
flat-panel 486 with PCMCIA and one ISA slot for about that (16Mb RAM, 500Mb
disk, no floppy but an external floppy connector). This is _much_ more
powereful except for the lack of expandability and the lack of a built-in
network jack. All I need right now is a source of used DE-620 pocket
Ethernet adapters to charge on ahead.

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.