PDP-11 Emulator Question

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 12:38:09 2000

>Is this device still available? The page refers to $$99 from circuit city.
>(If so I will be taking one home after my US visit next week!!)
>
>Kevin

According to Slashdot reports they're currently out of stock just about
everywhere. The page on adding a disk mentions it's got a 180MHz
processor, yet I believe the companies page mentions 200MHz.

>It's not clear if you can decline to order the monthly ISP-like
>Internet dial-up service, at least $21.95/month for the first month,
>if you buy via their web site. If you can get one for $100
>from Circuit City without sign-up for the service, away you
>go. But it may be that the $100 price is only possible if you
>pick up a minimum service contract.
>
>- John

It looks like if you buy direct you're sucked into a service agreement, of
at least a month. However, according to what was said on Slashdot if you
get it from Circuit City you don't have to deal with that, and can get it
for $99. However, people were mentioning having to put down a $20
downpayment because it wasn't in stock, and I gather the $99 is a time
limited deal and it will go up to either $199 or $299.

>The chip in that thing is a Pentium180?
>
>Tell me more about this, is the LCD part of it??
>
>Allison

Well, it's not a Pentium 180, it's a WinChip 180 (I've no idea how that
compares). The LCD is a 800x600 passive colour display apparently. It
also has 32MB RAM, that looks like the same RAM used in the iMac.

The company making them is Netpliance http://www.netpliance.com/ and I
think I saw an add for them on the Discovery Channel last night, a couple
hours before I saw the site on hacking a disk into them
http://www.linux-hacker.net/iopener/

Of course the ulitmate would be to use one as both a PDP-11 emulator and
the System console for my PDP-11/44 :^)

I hate both clone chips and Circuit City, but I'm *really* tempted to run
over to Circuit City before work today!

                        Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh_at_aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh_at_holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |