PDP-11 Emulator Question

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 13:45:49 2000

--- Aaron Christopher Finney <af-list_at_wfi-inc.com> wrote:
> I just took a look at the netpliance website for some details...
>
> If you buy an i-opener online, you have a choice of monthly or fixed-term
> service. If you go through the purchase procedure for monthly service,
> it's $99 plus $39.95 shipping, with no mention of a minimum required
> service length. I'd assume that it's the same at CC; you probably buy the
> box there for $99 + tax without the internet service.

OK... here's the scoop... my local CC is backordered over a dozen units. I
put down a $20 deposit on one and it is supposed to arrive in two weeks. The
way the billing works is you pay $99 + tax for the unit and as soon as you
connect it to a phone line and give it the go-ahead, the unit connects with
the central office somewhere and you enter in credit card info and pick yout
billing plan. If you never connect it to a phone line with the default QNX
software, you never have to worry about signing up.

I expect this policy to change when they see hundreds if not thousands of
units sold with no service started on them. Until then, I've (almost) got
mine. Now all I need is a DE-620.

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.