PDP-11 Emulator Question

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 15:45:15 2000

--- "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh_at_aracnet.com> wrote:
> Now the question is, does anyone know how to wipe QNX off of them, and put
> what you want on them? I've no idea what a SanDisk is. I'm assuming it's
> something that's got to be done with a Windows PC.

Nope... it's hardware - an ATA-interface wad of Flash ROM. The BIOS on
this particular box seems to see it as the slave device on the IDE interface
if there is a real IDE drive installed on the 44-pin connector.

The problem with this box is that there is no way to import software since
the SanDisk is soldered on, not plugged in, like some embedded designs. What
appears to be necessary is to install an alternate OS on a laptop drive that
is installed in a _real_ machine, then stick the drive on this closed box.

> However, I'm wondering if there is a way to also use it as a Serial
> terminal.

There does not appear to be an RS-232 port, but I have two options - one
quick-n-dirty, the other only theoretically possible. First, I have a
box that simulates a CO. I can stick a modem on the other side of this
thing and use its internal modem at 33.6 (maximum speed without a digitally-
enhanced ISP on the other end) or down to 9600, say, and simulate a dial-up
connection with whatever software is handy - I'm fond of Kermit myself.
Alternately, it may be possible to remove the modem and add a MAX-232-based
level converter and run a cable outside the case for "real" serial devices.
I plan to inspect the innards and hang a scope off of whatever interconnects
there are. Worst case, the UART is embedded in the modem and I'll have to
be more creative by probably installing a 16550 on a daughter card in place
of the modem. I don't know if I'll go to that extreme.

> Do USB drivers for DOS exist?

I sincerely doubt it.

> Actually in the long run I'm probably best off putting a HD in it so I can
> have several emulator images on the thing for different OS's.

Agreed, but I may stick a Linux Router Project kernel on the internal SanDisk
and mount stuff via NFS - slow over the parallel port, but it should work
once I get an adapter.

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.