PDP-11 Emulator Question

From: Bill Dawson <whdawson_at_mlynk.com>
Date: Tue Mar 14 02:52:12 2000

No need to hack anything to get another serial port. There are two serial
ports on board, one for the modem, the other one is next to the dip switch.
Here's a real good FAQ page http://fastolfe.net/misc/i-opener-faq.html , and
there are lots of other very informative Hack/FAQ pages on the web for the
I-Opener.

Bill

-> --- Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com> wrote:
-> > <There does not appear to be an RS-232 port...
->
-> > This is one way, Ugly and prone to problems. Easier to hack
-> the parallel
-> > port and do a parallel to serial converter. I consider the
-> parallel port
-> > a resource.
->
-> So do I. I want the parallel port for PLIP or for network or to possibly
-> control an LCD module (if I can't control it from a serial port).
->
-> > I happen to be lucky and have a few Xircom Pocket eithernet
-> adaptors so
-> > those will fill the parallel port.
->
-> At the moment, I have no Xircom adapters (I'm casually looking
-> for a bargain
-> on a couple of PE-3s) and even if I had any, AFAIK, they only
-> work under DOS
-> and DOS derivatives, not any flavor of UNIX. There are pocket
-> adapters that
-> work, but I have never seen a working one for sale (there was
-> this busted one
-> at the hamfest...)
->
-> As it turns out, one of the many pages on the iOpener that has sprung up
-> claims that the modem interfaces to the motherboard with RS-232. I don't
-> know if that means +/-12V or TTL, but it's a start. It appears
-> to connect
-> via a .1" spacing DIP header of 2x5 or perhaps 2x6 pins. Easy enough to
-> squirt some data out the serial port and see what lights up with
-> either an
-> oscilloscope or even just a traffic light.
->
-> > If linux supports USB there are all sorts of USB to whatever
-> converters
-> > including Eithernet, modems, printers...
->
-> Depending on the USB chipset, yes. As I said earlier, USB
-> support is imperfect
-> under Linux at the moment.
->
-> -ethan
->
->
-> =====
-> Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
-> vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com
->
-> The original webpage address is still going away. The
-> permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/
->
-> See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.
-> Do You Yahoo!?
-> Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
-> http://im.yahoo.com
->