PDP-11 Emulator Question

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Mar 14 00:44:10 2000

--- Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com> wrote:
> <There does not appear to be an RS-232 port...

> This is one way, Ugly and prone to problems. Easier to hack the parallel
> port and do a parallel to serial converter. I consider the parallel port
> a resource.

So do I. I want the parallel port for PLIP or for network or to possibly
control an LCD module (if I can't control it from a serial port).

> I happen to be lucky and have a few Xircom Pocket eithernet adaptors so
> those will fill the parallel port.

At the moment, I have no Xircom adapters (I'm casually looking for a bargain
on a couple of PE-3s) and even if I had any, AFAIK, they only work under DOS
and DOS derivatives, not any flavor of UNIX. There are pocket adapters that
work, but I have never seen a working one for sale (there was this busted one
at the hamfest...)

As it turns out, one of the many pages on the iOpener that has sprung up
claims that the modem interfaces to the motherboard with RS-232. I don't
know if that means +/-12V or TTL, but it's a start. It appears to connect
via a .1" spacing DIP header of 2x5 or perhaps 2x6 pins. Easy enough to
squirt some data out the serial port and see what lights up with either an
oscilloscope or even just a traffic light.

> If linux supports USB there are all sorts of USB to whatever converters
> including Eithernet, modems, printers...

Depending on the USB chipset, yes. As I said earlier, USB support is imperfect
under Linux at the moment.

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.