Brand new used C-64 PC

From: Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk <(Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk)>
Date: Wed Mar 15 08:00:11 2000

Jim Strickland wrote:

> The serial port on the c64 IS RS232 compatible, but it uses ttl level signals
> instead of the normal ones. The adapters just (if memory serves) raise the
> signal levels to rs232 standards. It only goes up to 2400 baud with the
> existing bios, although the chip goes (I think) to 9600 if you reprogram it.
>
> For this reason plugging the serial printer into any standard RS232 device is
> probably not a good idea.

For the uninitiated, I think I must at this point issue a warning:

THERE ARE TWO SERIAL PORTS ON THE COMMODORE 64.

One is a (can't remember how many. 5+/-1)-pin DIN connector. This is
Commodore's serial version of GPIB, and is where disk drives and things go.

The other is the RS232. I can't remember whether that's a separate connector,
or simply pins on the user port.

I would guess the printer goes in the same port as the disk drive, if it is one
of Commodore's own-badged Epson things. IIRC you daisy chain them - one cable
64 - Disk drive, next cable disk drive - printer, etc.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK