PDP-11's DECcasete

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Mar 16 09:22:09 2000

--- John Wilson <wilson_at_dbit.dbit.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 07:36:53AM +0100, Maciej S Szymanski wrote:
> > I'm trying to put back in service PDP-11/05 used to controll aircraft
> > structural test sytem. I's equiped with DECcassete drive (it looks like
> > normal audio cassete).
> > Is there any replacement for them ? I mean using good audio casset or
> > so.
>
> Replacement for which, the media, or the whole drive?
>
> DEC claimed that you couldn't use regular audio cassettes with the TU60
> because they couldn't handle the high tension used by the drive. Sounds like
> it could be hype but you never know. I mean, what's the point of building a
> peripheral that uses regular audio cassettes, except that it *doesn't* use
> regular audio cassettes? Worst of both worlds.

AFAIK, it is _not_ a regular cassette but the drive mechanism is based on
regular cassette transport hardware. The media is coated for low friction
to extend media life and reduce head wear, among other things. One minor
feature of the cassettes themselves is a plastic flippy write-protect tab.
Not essential but a nice touch.

As has already been pointed out, the cassettes have a notch in the middle
of the top and there's a finger or a block or something at the corresponding
location on the drive preventing you from mounting an audio tape.

I used to use tapes by the crate on my PET way back when. A regular speed
tape drive mixed with cheap Rat-Shack tapes was a dangerous combination. I
wouldn't want to use consumer grade tapes with a high-performance mechanism.
It makes me think of the nickname of the TS-11 - the "Tape Stretcher 11",
maybe a "Tape Annihilator 60"? :-)

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.