PDP-11's DECcasete

From: John Wilson <wilson_at_dbit.dbit.com>
Date: Thu Mar 16 11:06:35 2000

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 08:21:29AM -0800, James Willing wrote:
> Actually... I've got a couple of cases of this media rattling around the
> 'Garage' (along with my TU-60's). If anyone needs a couple for restoration
> purposes let me know. Probably for the cost of shipping unless you really
> need more than a couple.

I'd like to buy one or two please -- my TU60 has languished unrestored for
way too long, and I sure don't want to overwrite any tapes that have anything
on them.

> Which reminds me... what is the interface board for a TU-60? And anyone
> got a spare???

TA11, M7892. Or TA8E for Omnibus (dunno the M number). Sorry, don't have
a spare. FWIW I do have a couple of spare tape mechanisms (thanks Allison!),
i.e. the bare transports that fit into the TU60, which I'd be happy to give
away to anyone who's fixing their TU60 before I get to mine.

The M7892 is the kind of thing Bell Atlantic/CTS (or is it /ESS ?) would have
had a few years ago, for super high prices though... I don't know what ever
became of them, I sure hope we didn't all miss a really amazing auction or
anything.

FWIW the TA11 is a pretty simple interface, all the brains are in the drive,
so I don't think building a fresh one (for any computer) would be such a
hard project. IIRC it's parallel, not high-speed serial like the RX02, so
it might even be doable through an LPT port hack of some kind.

John Wilson
D Bit