Hacking Netpliance??

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Mar 19 14:16:09 2000

--- "Richard A. Cini, Jr." <rcini_at_msn.com> wrote:
> Anyone see the NYTimes article on the Netpliance i-Opener Internet access ap
> pliance?

Yep... they are at least a week behind the curve on reporting it.

> Sounds like a neat hacking project. There's a USB port on the back, so a USB
> -to-Ethernet converter would work there. I also read that one could lash a h
> ard drive to it.
>
> Anyone done this yet?

Not yet... they are out of stock nationally (due to the ./ effect). Mine
is on order and won't arrive for at least a week or two. I've heard that
Netpliance is evaluating how to reword their ads/sales agreements/etc. to
make the idea of hacking one less attractive because they are currently
subsidizing a $300-$400 machine to sell their ISP service. If you order
one direct from the company, they "include" the first month's service on
the sale, but you can cancel after that. I'm wondering if they will go
to a rebate sales model - buy the unit at $300-$350 and get the first year
on the 'net "free".

In any case, I'll be getting mine eventually. One of the nicknames for
the box amongst the hacker community is the "iOpenedIt".

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.