DEC RAxx drive

From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob_at_stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
Date: Mon Mar 20 18:38:30 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Duell" <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: DEC RAxx drive

> OK, as I understand it...
>
> Black cables do a mirror flip between the 2 ends. White cables don't.
>
> Bulkhead adapters (obviously) do a mirror flip.

> Now what I can't remember is whether you need a mirror flip between
the
> controller and the drive (-> an odd number total of bulkheads and
black
> cables) or not. What I can remember is that whatever combination you
have
> doesn't work :-), and it's necessary to swap cable types until it
does.

I've never actually had a problem with this.
My cabinets come out to ports on the bulkhead of the cabinet.
(RA7x and RA9x drives, - same for RA82's when I was still running them.
They are, (rummage, rummage) uh, ok, the connectors for the SA70
enclosures
that hold the RA7x drives are a white cable with a 37 pin d connector
that fans out
to 4 SDI bulkhead connectors. I put a black cable from there to either
KDB50 or the HSC70 and they work.
The RA8x drive cabinet cables are black, and go to a bulkhead connector.
Black from there to
the HSC or KDB50 works.
I have another RA9x cabinet at home but I *think* it has white cables in
it, I'll take a look later.
Black cable from there to the HSC or KDB50.
ISTR that I have also gone direct from an RA90 with a black cable to a
KDB50, and that worked too.
Are you not holding your mouth at the correct angle? ;^)

I've tried to make sense of the cable part no's, but there seems to be
several (length is a factor obviously)
different numbers and it's hard to tell what's what.

Cheers

Geoff Roberts
Computer Systems Manager
Saint Mark's College