Are you sure the 6550 is dead? (was: Mos Technology RAM wanted)

From: Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk <(Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk)>
Date: Tue Mar 21 11:30:16 2000

> I think the basic number you're looking for is "2101" from the same 1K
> series as the famous "2102" which is a 16-pin 1kx1 with separate in and out.
> The 2101's I have are not fast enough to meet the 200ns spec. However, not
> much of anything that was readily available at the time the PET model 2001
> came out was that fast. Either it was quite a bit faster, e.g. 2147, 2115,
> etc, or it was slower, e.g. 2114, 21L02, TMS4044 etc, which were typically
> 450 ns at that point in time. Those 450 ns parts worked handsomely with the
> 1 MHz 6502. Perhaps you'd be able to use a 2101.

I would have thought a 2101 was far too small. These are 4kbit chips.

I agree 200ns probably isn't essential - my PET of that date uses 450ns 2114s.
On the 1MHz 6502 you have 500ns between the two clock edges that govern RAM
timing - one guaranteeing a valid address, the second latching in the data.

(FWIW there were FOUR motherboard designs for the early PETs, based on all
permutations of 2114 or 6550 RAM and 2316 or 6540 ROM. Mine is late for an old
style PET, and has 2114 and 6540)

>>> I'll have to check the RAMs in the spare PET that I
>>> keep in the garage. Can't remember whether they're SRAMs
>>> or DRAMs in the bigger PETs.
>>
>>Only the oldest 2001-x PETs use those SRAMs. I guess it's time to build
>>that upgrade board (a PAL, a pair of EPROMS, and some 6264s, a 62256, or
>>some cast-off PC cache).

That's right. When they revised the ROM code, they revised the motherboard so
that all ROMs were 2332s (and the sockets would take 2732s) and all RAM was
dynamic.

The thing that bothers me is that it says 3071 bytes free. This is EXACTLY the
number of bytes free you get on a 4K PET.

My advice - Identify the suspect pair of chips (remember these are 4-bit wide
parts) - I have the circuit diagrams if you want - and swap them with the
corresponding pair for the top 1k of RAM. You should then get the message "6143
BYTES FREE" when you power up. (Or try swapping them with the video RAM -
you'll soon see if the chip is dead!)

I suspect, however, you will still get 3071 BYTES FREE.

Let me explain. On these early PETS the top four address lines come from the
processor and go straight into a 74154 decoder, AND NOWHERE ELSE. This outputs
sixteen block select lines - one for each 4k of memory. Your PET is failing
memory test at exactly the point where it passes into the second 4k block from
the first.

In short, I think a failure at the block boundary is too much of a coincidence.
I'd trace out what this line is doing from the 74154 (there is only one, and
it's 24 pin, so you can't miss it!) to the RAM. Failing this, I'd suspect
something else in the chip select logic. (It could, of course be a failure that
affects a whole chip, but I'd try the other things after you've swapped RAM
chips if the BYTES FREE doesn't change)

As I said, I can lend you my copy of the circuit diagrams if you haven't already
got one.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.