Toggling in PDP-11 Bootstraps...

From: Aaron Christopher Finney <af-list_at_wfi-inc.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 13:09:58 2000

Does anyone have any practical advice concerning this, something that
might save me a little time/frustration? I'm playing around with some
parts to try to learn more about how the system works, and here's what
I've got:

22bit qbus backplane
11/73 cpu
1 meg ram
various device interface cards (Dilog SQ706A, RQDX3, Emulex TC03, RXV21
clone)

I'd like to be able to set up the simplest system possible and try to
toggle in a bootstrap. I've played with the ones on metalab (RX01, MSCP)
without much real success so far. Trying to boot from the RX01's using the
bootstrap code on metalab results in the drive access light coming on, but
nothing else happening. Sending a break stops at 1044 every time, the
contents of that register is 1776. Trying to boot from the Dilog scsi
device #0 (should be DU0, right?) just hangs (again using the MSCP
bootstrap on metalab). The MSCP bootstrap is well-commented, so I can see
what's going on there...a little hint or push may be all I need to be able
to modify it to work for me. The RX01 bootstrap is not commented at all,
unfortunately.

I know the RXV21 clone is working OK, since I can boot from it with the
bootstrap roms on my multifunction card...

Thanks,

Aaron