Apple Network Servers

From: Tom Owad <owad_at_applefritter.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 16:40:21 2000

>::What "is" a network server 500, and what is the upgrade (very unlikely to
>::be worth $200)?
>
>A Network Server 500 is one of Apple's two ill-fated Unix server models.

Not to mention thge _very_ ill-fated Apple Networ Server 300, which never
made it past the prototype stage. My web site, Applefritter, is hosted
on one of these machines.

"The ANS 300 had the same architecture as the 500 & 700, but was intended
to be an easily rack-mounted unit intended for Internet/FTP/Mail/Web
serving, departmental and small database servers, etc, and consequently
less expansion. It has two removable drive bays and one fixed drive
(behind the LCD). Much of the serviceability & security was abandoned for
the sake of size. For instance, there is no obvious way to secure the
drive bays, or the motherboard tray from being removed. The power supply
is fixed and would be slow to field repair. The fixed hard drive mounted
behind the LCD is very hard to reach, etc. The key lock on the front
controls only the "on, lock, service" options, unlike the multiple key
lock controlling those functions plus doors and security on the full size
500/700 units. These issues eventually ceased to be important, however,
as the ANS 300 never shipped.

"Code named Deep Dish, the ANS 300 is essentially an Apple Network Server
without the large drive array. As a consequence, the computer is only
four rack-units high. The logic board is in the bottom of the unit on a
slide-out tray. There are two standard ANS removable trays on the right
side of the unit's front. The Deep Dish also has one fixed internal
drive, and the floppy drive is fixed, as well. Apple also had plans to
produce an external drive array for the machine, reason for the ultrawide
SCSI port above the PCI slots."

If anybody wants more information, see
<http://www.applefritter.com/prototypes/deepdish/>.

Tom

Apple Prototypes, Clones, & Hacks - The obscure, unusual, & exceptional.