New drives in the M3100/M76

From: jpero_at_cgocable.net <(jpero_at_cgocable.net)>
Date: Tue Mar 21 12:04:21 2000

> From: "Peter Pachla" <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
> To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
> Subject: Re: New drives in the M3100/M76
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:08:39 -0000

> Hi Paul,
>
> > I also had problems with a IBM 0661 disk. I was unable to
> >get it to 512 byte sectors from 524/sector using either
> >RZDISK (VMS) or TEST 75 on my 3100-M76.
>
> I've also had trouble with these drives. I have a pair in my PS/2-9595 which
> work fine in that machine, but won't work reliably in my Celeron based
> machine (they work for a while, then suddenly become inaccessible for no
> apparent reason).
>
> I'd love to know why this is.

1. This is early first MR drives and will not work (marble dropping
noise) if the too long screws grounds out the disc pack casing.
That is reason because of so much insulation tapes wrapped up disc
pack itself.

2. They run hot, cool them.

Don't take them apart ever. There is few parts that is used once and
can't be used again on reassembly. IBM does sells the rebuild kit
with new circuit boards and few parts required but cost as much as a
new drive itself when new. But this is only temporary solution and
somewhat chancy and is last resort to get data off.

 If anyone happens to have these dead
0661 and 0662's, I'm interested in them for tear-down analysis.

IBM does have jumper info on their website for these. :-)

Needs to use LLF on any peecee controller or use a desktop or tower
IBM ps/2 to convert them to standard 512 per sector type. I have
done that once in a while successfully.

Cheers!

Wizard