New drives in the M3100/M76

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
Date: Fri Mar 24 18:40:28 2000

Hi,

>> I'd love to know why this is.
>
> 1. This is early first MR drives and will not work (marble
>dropping noise) if the too long screws grounds out the disc
>pack casing.

Yes, I downloaded IBMs technical manual on these drives - it goes to great
pains to warn you against grounding the drive chamber to the chassis with
long screws....

> 2. They run hot, cool them.

They were getting hot, but not THAT hot. Then again the drive bays they were
sat in weren't exactly in the best position to get good cooling.

> Needs to use LLF on any peecee controller or use a desktop or
>tower IBM ps/2 to convert them to standard 512 per sector type.
>I have done that once in a while successfully.

Yep, they format fine on this AdvanSys SCSI controller I use in my PC (no
IDE (spit) devices in sight). Just wish they'd keep working....

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)