Toggling in PDP-11 Bootstraps...

From: healyzh_at_aracnet.com <(healyzh_at_aracnet.com)>
Date: Tue Mar 21 17:33:09 2000

> I should have been a little more specific with my description. I have the
> peripheral boards sitting around me and am just playing with one at a time
> for fun. I do have a bootable system already, but I'm just playing with
> them for the fun/experience...

OK, I'm still a little confused. Do you have Boot ROMs in the system, or
even when it's put together in the 'bootable order', do you still have to
type in the bootstrap?

> I double checked to make sure that they had unique CSR
> assignments...besides the SLU, will the system expect any of the
> peripherals to have standard addresses/vectors?

The bootstrap expects to be seeing the controller at a specific address.
I believe a MSCP disk should be at 1772150 for the first controller (I'm not
at home, so this is from memory, and my memory stinks).

> I'll try to push the bootstrap via serial tonight, though I'm using a WYSE
> 60 and it's pretty easy to type it out.

I've typed the TMSCP bootstrap a few to many times for my taste. Though now
I have a board in the system that included TMSCP support. This is the only
reason I'd use a PC as a console.

> Side note: does anyone know how to send a plain LF with a WYSE 60, without
> changing the personality to a different terminal? My setup cycles through
> like this for assigning the Enter key: CR...CRLF...CR...TAB...I got around
> it last night by switching personalities to one of the DG modes.

I'm afraid I don't. My personal recommendation is get a DEC terminal, but
then I've got anywhere from a dislike to downright hatred for non-DEC
terminals.

                        Zane