Are you sure the 6550 is dead? (was: Mos Technology RAM wanted)

From: John Honniball <John.Honniball_at_uwe.ac.uk>
Date: Wed Mar 22 06:11:37 2000

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:08:20 GMT Pete Turnbull
<pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com> wrote:
> Well, I once ripped the metal lids off a few ceramic DRAMs to use them as
> optical image sensors (ISTR an article in BYTE, I think it was, years ago
> about that), and there's a story about how Ferranti designers determined
> that a particular ULA design worked perfectly if only you could get at the
> gates with a microprobe to add a pullup in a certain place, but these SRAMs
> are plastic and I've run out of fuming nitric acid :-(

Then there's the transputer prototype that only worked when
under strong illumination (like in a probe/microscope
setup) and didn't work in the dark (like with the lid on).

Solution: omit the lid, and supply a car headlamp bulb to
provide enough light.

--
John Honniball
Email: John.Honniball_at_uwe.ac.uk