Aaaaahhhh... 'Tis Good to be Back!!!

From: healyzh_at_aracnet.com <(healyzh_at_aracnet.com)>
Date: Wed Mar 22 10:15:08 2000

> > Good Grief! The most any Alpha on my home cluster has is 112MB and my best
> > Alpha only has 96MB because the RAM is so blasted expensive! I've found
> > that a Alpha with 80MB is about the same as a VAX with 16MB, and don't even
> > consider DECwindows in less than 80MB (and you won't see good performance
> > till 112MB). The 96MB machine is a 21164/333 feels about like the
>
> For alpha maybe. I'm used to running decwin on MVII with 9meg! The
> largest vax I have (memory wise) is 24 and then 16mb and for VAX/VMS thats
> a decent amount of ram unless your doing large matrix math or big
> databases.

Allison,
What version of VMS, and how much other stuff? My MV3 has 16MB with OpenVMS
V7.2, DECnet Phase V, and TCPIP V5, and has plenty of free RAM. I've no
idea how much space DECwindows takes in memory on a VAX. However, a Alpha
with 80MB or 96MB running the same stuff I am on the MV3, and DECwindows is
swapping, with 112MB it isn't normally swapping. What can I say, I like
*all* my programs in RAM all the time.

                                Zane