Aaaaahhhh... 'Tis Good to be Back!!!

From: allisonp_at_world.std.com <(allisonp_at_world.std.com)>
Date: Wed Mar 22 12:28:54 2000

> What version of VMS, and how much other stuff? My MV3 has 16MB with OpenVMS
> V7.2, DECnet Phase V, and TCPIP V5, and has plenty of free RAM. I've no
> idea how much space DECwindows takes in memory on a VAX. However, a Alpha
> with 80MB or 96MB running the same stuff I am on the MV3, and DECwindows is
> swapping, with 112MB it isn't normally swapping. What can I say, I like
> *all* my programs in RAM all the time.

When I first started running DW it was a MVII with 5mb running VMS4.7
(may old ba23!). During those years I could get later versions easily as
 as I was DEC internal. I eventually got as far as VMS5.5 and 5 users
(run VS2000 as DWTs) all in 13mb of ram. Ran ok. The current one runs
quite nicely on the M76 in 16mb using a VT1200. The smallest config I
DW on memorywise was a 730 with 4mb, and one RA80. It was slow but then
no amount of memory was going to help a great amount.

There is no comparisn with Alpha memory sizes and Microvax. It has a lot
to do with basic word size and how memory is used.

Allison