Aaaaahhhh... 'Tis Good to be Back!!!

From: healyzh_at_aracnet.com <(healyzh_at_aracnet.com)>
Date: Wed Mar 22 10:22:32 2000

> Look at TPU for word processing, it's very configureable. LSE is even
> better. For Spreadsheet there are a few DECcalc being one. There is a
> fair amount of DECUS and other free software for VMS out there.

OK, now I'm curious. I can see TPU and LSE for text editing, but word
processing? Or are you then sending the result through TeX, or something
like TeX? Wasn't DECcalc a commercial offering along the lines of DECwrite?
If so, as far as I know it's not available to hobbyists. I'd love to know
about a good spreadsheet available to hobbyists myself!

> There are several browsers, newreaders and also server software out there
> for VMS. I believe Apache too.

Good point, Apache is now available, although I gather one VMS there are
better solutions still for a VMS based web server. There is a very nice
newsreader for DECwindows who's name escapes me. Supposidly 'tin' will
compile on VMS, but it looks like it's been *years* since anyone succeeded.
I've gotten it to compile and link, but it won't do anything. If you're like
me and prefer 'elm' for eMail, then give PTmail V4.1.2 a try.

                                Zane