Aaaaahhhh... 'Tis Good to be Back!!!

From: allisonp_at_world.std.com <(allisonp_at_world.std.com)>
Date: Wed Mar 22 07:33:33 2000

> >I *think* I've got enough other boards to populate the others with 16Meg,
> >but I'm not quite sure... My tough parts are hard drives... I've only got
> >2, an RZ24L & an RZ25. Are there utilities to make a non-DEC hard drive

That would make a fine VAX, and that enough disk to run fair amount of
stuff under VMS.

> >work in a VAX? I need to put in an order for a couple of SCSI drives
> >anyway... and I could get a couple 1 or 2 gig drives at the same time.
>
> OpenVMS V7.2 is a lot more forgiving about that than say V5.5, however,
> there is no guarentee until you try it. If your best system is a
> VAXstation 3100 M38 you're probably limited to 1GB on the *BOOT* disk.

For that series stay under 1.07gb for the bootable media as the dumper
uses the boot roms if VMS crashes. the boot roms are the limiter. Any
other disk can be larger than 1gb.

A good small vax config is a 1gb for the OS and core software and anything
you have for a user disk. Though I'd point out that 1gb and VMS7.2 full
install is still going to leave 600+mb unused!

> >I do want to see what the box will do with DECwindows... are there any good
> >spreadsheet/presentation apps for that? Erm... this might be a stretch, but
>
> There is at least one spreadsheet'ish app available, though I've no idea
> how good it is. No idea on the Presentation apps. For Word Processing
> there is DECwrite.

Look at TPU for word processing, it's very configureable. LSE is even
better. For Spreadsheet there are a few DECcalc being one. There is a
fair amount of DECUS and other free software for VMS out there.

> >isn't there a Netscape or Mosaic for that too? (I'm not too interested in
> >turning the box into a 'net appliance, but mainly just to show people --
> >"Look! I got Nutscrape to run on this!" I co-own an ISP, and I'd bet that
> >none of the other ISP's could get that working, so it might make a strange
> >but helpful bragging point - "We support VAXen!")

There are several browsers, newreaders and also server software out there
for VMS. I believe Apache too.

Allison