Resetting C= machines with non-standard implements (was Re: Are you sure the 6550 is dead?)

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Mar 22 11:25:21 2000

--- Philip.Belben_at_powertech.co.uk wrote:

> >> The old PETs don't AFAIK have the internal expansion connector - they have
> >> an edge connector sticking out at one side. Very useful for toggling
> >> RESET with a pair of tweezers!
> >
> > Don't miss!
>
> If I've got to the point where I need to hit RESET, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter to the software, but there's the risk of shorting things
together that don't want to be shorted.

> Occasionally I corrupted I/O registers and disabled the interrupts that
> serviced the keyboard. You'd better not miss when toggling IRQ with the
> tweezers!

I used to reset my development C-64 with a paperclip that I bent into a
hair-pin shape with a .3" or .4" spacing to fit the proper pins on the
expansion connector. I even melted a drinking straw and wrapped it around
the top of the loop for a "handle". It was my programmer's reset for
years.

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.