AXP vs VAX (was Re: Aaaaahhhh... 'Tis Good to be Back!!!)

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Mar 22 11:21:29 2000

--- healyzh_at_aracnet.com wrote:
> > Ow... that's scary. I am in the process of _finally_ building up this
> > AXP133 "no-name" board...

> Since you're running Sparc's with 64MB, to give you an idea of what I
> consider acceptable performance, I don't consider Solaris 2.6 acceptable in
> 64MB, but it's quite nice in 96MB on my Sparc 2.

I don't consider 64Mb acceptable if I'm running CDE. It's horrible. Things
are sluggish but not painful under OpenWindows. I'd run 96Mb if I could,
but I don't have the Sbus expansion card. I used to use a Sparc 5/110 as
my primary desktop machine at Lucent, and with 256Mb of memory the only
ongoing problem I had was with starting up Netscrape - it took much more
than a minute. Once I was in, things were ducky. I could even run ViCE
at 200% 6502-emulation speed with no problems.

> In the case of OpenBSD I was able to get a Tulip-based 10/100 NIC working
> with no problem in the AS200. I *can not* get one working under OpenVMS, it
> looks like I need a real DE500 to work under OpenVMS.

I bought a real DE500 once, just for this box (not that it runs OpenVMS
due to other driver issues). It never left the show with me; I think I
set down the bag and walked off. Not the first time, but usually I remember
while I'm still in the same aisle.

> On the RAM, I *always* check for used True Parity 72-pin SIMMS when I'm
> anywhere that has used RAM.

Me too. I'm up to five pair of 16Mb and one pair of 4Mb. :-(

> You're lucky. The AS500 requires custom RAM, the only way I'm going to get
> it more memory is by spending about $500 :^(

Ow!

Speaking of custom RAM, I notice that on diagnostics, the IPX detects 33bit
vs 36bit parity SIMMs. Are there any performance differences? I only have
three or four 33bit 16Mb SIMMs. I was just wondering if there were any
benefit to take these to 36bit. I plan to use the IPX as our primary DNS
server at work, so enhanced reliability is a benefit.

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.