AXP vs VAX (was Re: Aaaaahhhh... 'Tis Good to be Back!!!)

From: healyzh_at_aracnet.com <(healyzh_at_aracnet.com)>
Date: Wed Mar 22 15:43:58 2000

> I don't consider 64Mb acceptable if I'm running CDE. It's horrible. Things
> are sluggish but not painful under OpenWindows. I'd run 96Mb if I could,
> but I don't have the Sbus expansion card. I used to use a Sparc 5/110 as
> my primary desktop machine at Lucent, and with 256Mb of memory the only
> ongoing problem I had was with starting up Netscrape - it took much more
> than a minute. Once I was in, things were ducky. I could even run ViCE
> at 200% 6502-emulation speed with no problems.

I don't know, I found 64MB w/CDE running Solaris 2.6 Server to be to painful
for words, yet with 96MB it's fine even running Netscape. Sure Netscape is
slow, but so is the machine. On a related note, a Dual 400Mhz w/256MB RAM,
and UDMA/33 HD running Solaris 7 and Netscape 4.7 is the absolute fastest
I've seen Netscape run, period. I'd like a good Sparc, but then I look at
what it would cost to get a better system than that dual Celeron and just
shake my head.

                        Zane