FOCAL (was: KIM/6502 code)

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 22 22:34:54 2000

The Denver 6502 Group's web site is very new and, even so, I would not hold
out much hope for the appearance of this software in any form, as nobody has
used it in just about 20 years. The way I remember it, FOCAL was the first
interpreter, and in fact, the first high level language that the group had
as a common resource. Nevertheless, after the day the Apple Basic was
modified/adapted for general use, nobody even mentioned FOCAL again except
perhaps in a historical reference.

Though the group back then (1978) had a couple of JOLT users, nobody ever
showed up with or talked about a KIM, with one exception, and he only did
that once, as nobody seems to have shared his interest.

In early '79, after the Apple users more or less split off in order to form
a group of their own, a set of listings of what was then the current
generation of the stuff various group members, mostly the same three or four
guys, was printed for those of the group who wanted it. Some people
preferred microfiche . . . In any case that was the last time a full set of
listings of the group's output was generated. In fact, aside from
revisions of the XPL0 compiler and the APEX OS software, nothing further was
generated, as the hardware interest seems to have died off.

I know I have the complete set of listings, but it may not surface for a
while.

Dick