teletype wanted.....

From: Cameron Kaiser <ckaiser_at_oa.ptloma.edu>
Date: Thu Mar 23 18:05:08 2000

::> Speaking of teletypes, I ended up with a matching set of Philips TX-1000
::> Text Tells which are, I guess, meant for teletext transfer over phone
::lines.
::> (The manual and the machines are Dutch.) Anyone ever dealt with these?
::> Know the communication protocol, or are they just like any other
::traditional
::> modem when they transmit/receive?

::The type number looks familiar, but I can't be certain. What do they look
::like? I expect they'll be V23 Mode 2 (1200 baud FSK receive using
::2100/1300Hz, 75 baud FSK transmit using 450/390Hz CCITT tones). If they're
::what I think they are, they can be programmed with a number to dial, a user
::ID and a (numeric) password which is sent on receipt of a ctrl-E (ENQ) from
::the remote end, but it should also be possible to use them manually.

They're black, about the size of (spit) a Windows CE box, I guess. It folds
open to reveal a keyboard with red, orange and burgundy-ish keys, and then a
single row 40?-character LCD with a "summary of commands" below that (in
Dutch, not much good to me). Does this ring any bells?

I'm particularly interested in figuring out how to talk to them *without*
having one unit on one end, like, say, have my workhorse C128 talk to them,
upload and download from them, etc.

I'm confident the baud rate would be low enough for the Commodore to handle
a transfer, but I'm not sure if a regular modem and the Text Tell could even
communicate (using the same modulation, etc.) I'm afraid I don't know much
about telecom standards, so the V.23 note went over my head. :-(

::Ob.pedantry: it would be Viewdata (comms channels), not teletext
::(broadcast).

*blush* :-)

     Cameron Kaiser * Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser_at_ptloma.edu
-- "I'd love to go out with you, but my personalities each need therapy." -----