PDP-11/23 deskside machine -DAMN

From: allisonp_at_world.std.com <(allisonp_at_world.std.com)>
Date: Fri Mar 24 08:02:28 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 Technoid_at_cheta.net wrote:

> After putting the skins back on the machine it is giving me a ERROR 13 -
> DU0 not ready error.
>
> DAMN!

Lessee, dud you puch the offline(READY) or WRITELOCK buttons? All cables
on and correctly positioned? I doubt it that the disk failed unless you
outright dropped it. If memeory serves you said its a RD52 (quantum D540
31 MB) and those are known for being near indestructable.

> I knew it wouldn't be that easy. I have a couple of spare ST506-type
> drives to hang off it but don't know how picky the controller is or where

The controller depending on which one you have is quit able to accept a
large number of drives. BUT, they must be formetted for it and the
average PC controller will not do it.

> to find install media for an operating system. The drive sounds fine
> (spins up and purges but no boot anymore) DAMN.

Likely it's still there. Finding media is easy BUT, RT-11 is a licensed
OS that is still actively sold and used (not cheap either). A free OS
none I know of. You can get a license for unix (PUPS) for 100$ that
entitles you to a whole raft of versions that run on PDP11 and sources as
well.

> To be honest I think I didn't park the drive before powering off the last
> time and suspect a head crash wiped the boot sector or something like
> that. Now when I try to boot I hear the drive track but get this error.

If RD52 it's a voicecoil drive and it's automatic. It's possible to munge
the disk on powerdown but less than likely.

> How can I get boots to restore a system?

  ??boots???

List of BOOT roms in the machine for the purpose of booting a device.

> DU DSA 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
> DL RL01/RL02 0 1 2 3
> DX RX01 0 1
> DY RX02 0 1
> DD TU58 0 1
> XH QNA 0 1
> MS TQK25/TS05 0

FYI: QNA is network, PDP-11s did MOP boot.

> ERROR UNIT DU0
> ERR 13 DRIVE NOT READY
> WISH TO REBOOT [Y,(N)]?

Cable, READY button, or other problem or wrong boot device selected (may
not be DU0, could be DUn).

Allison