Resetting C= machines with non-standard implements (was Re: Are you sure the 6550 is dead?)

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
Date: Fri Mar 24 14:13:28 2000

Hi,

> Yes, but I would have thought that the main problem is that
>you're effectively shorting an output....

Actually, I hadn't thought of that. It's a good point.

> I am suprised it was the processor that failed, though. AFAIK,
>the processor in a C64 never outputs anything to the reset line.

Well, I didn't actually do the fault finding on these machines myself. But
the chap who did repair them said he'd had to replace the 6510s.

I assume that spikes from the unbuffered switches had fried the 6510s reset
circuitry...?

> There's a fairly easy modification IIRC that adds a reset switch
>in parallel with a capacitor in the reset circuit....

As you say, that's the best way of doing it.

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)