Altos machines

From: Merle K. Peirce <at258_at_osfn.org>
Date: Sat Mar 25 07:34:33 2000

We have an Altos 8600 and what looks like an older 580 or 680 plus a few
terminals. We haven't done anything with them yet. the 8600 is rack
mounted with an 8 inch drive. The other one seesm to have 5-1/4's if I
remember correctly.

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com wrote:

> >Does anyone have any pointers to sites on the web which cover Altos
> >machines? I've done a search on Yahoo and a couple of other places and
> >turned up nothing.
>
> Yes, there is a surprising lack of information "on the web" on Altos
> machines.
>
> >I'm particularly interested in information on the Unix systems they were
> >making around 1990 - we had one at work, an i386 in a tower case. Not PC
> >compatible IIRC, possibly called an "Altos III" or something similar.
>
> If you can wait a day or two, a fellow classiccmper and I are going to be
> inventorying the Altos machines that we've (temporarily) taken custody
> of, as well as the documents. All the machines that we have are
> 19" wide by about 7.5" high tabletop units, often with 8" floppies in the
> front so they're almost certainly older than your machine, but there may
> be some documentation (we've several binders full of it) on your machine.
>
> --
> Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa_at_trailing-edge.com
> Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
> 7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
> Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927

M. K. Peirce
Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.
215 Shady Lea Road,
North Kingstown, RI 02852