Drives on PDP-11

From: Technoid_at_cheta.net <(Technoid_at_cheta.net)>
Date: Sat Mar 25 18:38:38 2000

I have a full backup of the drive via COPY. I would like to graft a
different hard disk onto this machine.

I have available in ST506-type is a fujitsu 40mb and a seagate st4096.
How do connect the second drive? There are connections for a second
drive but both are on the machine and not with the 34 pin connector
daisy-chained to the first drive as is normal. Do I terminate each drive
in this "Y" configuration? What drive number should it be? Drive 4 I
suspect as the first and only hard disk is set at 3 and is terminated.

How would I configure drive geometry to match the drive I am installing?

The object of installing a second hard disk is to create a bootable clone
of the first one. A bump in disk space is allways cool but I want a
bootable clone as a backup at least.

Does the ST506-type controller have enough Shugart SA400 about it that it
is running the floppies as drive id's 1 and 2? It would explain a lot.

How difficult is it to substitute a standard double-sided floppy mech for
the wierd but nifty-looking floppy drives that are in it now? For those
of you still wondering, it has an RX50-AA double-drive unit that cannot be
formatted by the computer but can be read.

Will I be able to format media on the machine if I DO replace the drives?
Can I substitute a standared 40trk X DS X DD mechanism or an 1.2mb 5.25"
mech to accomplish this? The connections look standard though I have not
opened the base enclosure for the floppy mechanism for a look at it's
cabling yet.

Thanks all

Jeffrey S. Worley
Technical Services
Bits & Bytes Computer Services Inc.
1979B Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803
828-684-8953 - voice 0900-1700 five days
828-687-9284 - 24hr fax
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Technoid_at_Cheta.net