Next Password

From: Bill Pechter <pechter_at_pechter.dyndns.org>
Date: Sun Mar 26 20:18:06 2000

> If you have a scsi drive you might try hanging it on a clone and mounting
> the partion under linux. You could then edit the passwd file in etc and
> gain access by simply deleting the coded password for ROOT.
>
> I am thinking about the same problem with a SUN box and that is the most
> likely I think so far.
>
> Basicly you need to boot single-user which disables all security and
> destroy the root password.

The Sun box is easy because you just need to run the install from CD
on SunOS 4 or Solaris and mount the disk and edit the password/shadow
file.

Some machines are more difficult because they don't have something as
easy to work from as the Sun miniroot... OpenBSD or NetBSD or
FreeBSD often can be used for this as well. AIX is a bit trickier since
they don't have the standard UFS/BSD filesystem structures.

Bill

--
bpechter_at_monmouth.com      |     Microsoft: Where do you want to go today?