Research Machines Link 480Z

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
Date: Sun Mar 26 21:53:36 2000

Hi Tony,

>>....reason I seem to recall both cassette recorders attaching
>>to seperate DIN sockets on the back of the machine...?
>
> Then your 380Z was modified...

Quite possibly, one of the technicians from the science dept was always
fiddling with it until they got their own machines.

Either that or I'm remembering incorrectly (quite probable).

> 2 Recorder 1 motor control (TTL level)
> 7 Recorder 2 motor control (TTL level).

Woah, back up there....TTL level???

Our machine *MUST* have been modified then (or been of an early design)
since we used an unmodified cassette recorder with it....it was a silver
Hitachi unit and was connected via a DIN connector rather than MIC/EAR (we
had to plug a special plug into the EAR socket to mute the speaker).

No external boxes in sight, motor control seemed to be via a relay inside
the machine?

>....Was one recorder always used for recording and the other
>for playback?

I *THINK* on our setup the "first" recorder could both record and playback
data and the "second" was playback only.

But as I said before, my memory is hazy.

>....Makes a change from 'no user serviceable parts inside' ;-)

It's not something you see much nowadays is it....

>> I *THINK* I recall them remarking how similar the bus was to
>>the SS-50 bus, BICBW.
>
> It's called the Z50 bus in the manual. It doesn't look very
>similar to SS50 to me...

I'm probably confusing it with another article in the same magazine then -
might've been a review of an "Explorer 85" or some such machine.

> Hmmm... Look, I manage to lose large micros and even the odd
>small mini here, OK :-)

Fair enough, the biggest thing I've "lost" so far is my DECMate II....I know
it's in a box around here somewhere....

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)