SUNOS 5.4 Root Password

From: Aaron Christopher Finney <af-list_at_wfi-inc.com>
Date: Mon Mar 27 23:41:48 2000

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 Technoid_at_cheta.net wrote:

> I can't seem to get a CDROM working on the machine. The entire scsi
> subsystem does not want to function. The CDROM is unterminated on it's
> own address with parity off. The hard disk which does boot, parity off,
> terminated at end of chain.

What kind of cdrom? Does it support 512k blocksize? Have you looked at the
Sun HW faq? Sun machines have a strange system of assigning/referencing
scsi id no's...

> Should I just mount this drive under linux and get root access that way?
> Should I install solaris for x86 to gain root? What filesystem is SUNOS
> 5.4 using so I can tell Linux what to use?

SunOS uses the UFS filesystem, you'll need linux kernel 2.1.112 or higher
to try the experimental read-write UFS (earlier is read-only). Backup
first...

Basically, you need to boot from the install CD/floppy/net in order to
hack it. Booting to single user mode here can help if you munge the root
user line (like set shell to /bin/oops or something) but won't let you
bypass the root password. You need to focus on getting the CD working.

Aaron