PDP11/23 More dumb questions

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Tue Mar 28 14:07:16 2000

On Mar 28, 11:51, CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com wrote:
> On Mar 28, 20:15, Olminkhof wrote:
> >The cards are, from one end:

> >M7195
>
> 128 kbyte RAM

It's actually a MXV11-B Multifunction card, with 128KB RAM, and ...

> >M8067
>
> Another 128 kbyte RAM

Or maybe 256K

> It's also particularly confusing, because you evidently have no serial
> line cards nor disk controllers in the backplane. I have no idea
> how you even got the ODT prompt out of the machine.

... the MXV11-B has two SLUs, of the same type as a DLV11. It also has a
bootstrap (usually) which is vaguely similar to some of the 11/23+ ad early
11/73 bootstraps, and an LTC. And a million jumper posts. I have a
document listing their names/functions somewhere online, if you need it.

> There seem to be some (slight) behavioural differences depending on which
> serial port I plug the terminal into.

Well, the one on the left of the card, looking into it from the back, is
the console line, if that helps.

> I'm unclear about the switches and lights, but I have the run light on,
the
> DC light on, the fixed disk write protect switch out and it's red light
out,
> and the fixed disk ready switch out with it's green light on.

Well, that should be running. As Tim noted, there isn't a disk controller
in your list, though. I'd expect an RQDX1 or maybe RQDX2 in that machine
-- more likely an RQDX1 if the drive is an RD50. If there isn't, it won't
do much. It might be worth trying to connect a terminal to the console SLU
and seein what happens when you start it. You can break into the bootstrap
routine using ctrl-C if necessary.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science