SUNOS 5.4 Root Password

From: Dwight Elvey <elvey_at_hal.com>
Date: Tue Mar 28 14:38:04 2000

pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com (Pete Turnbull) wrote:

> You might also want to switch from the "old" boot mode (prompt ">") to the
> "new" one (prompt "ok ") by typing "n". PROBE-SCSI, HELP, and most other
> commands are only available from the "new" prompt.

Hi
 It is OK to call the 'ok' the open-boot prompt. You can even
call it the Forth prompt, after all, that is what it is.
>From the 'ok' prompt you have a fully functional Forth
interpreter/compiler. It is even possible to write custom
code and save it into the NVRAM to do special functions on boot,
if you know what you are doing. I've done this kind
of stuff in the past with a book in one hand to tell
me the ins and outs of a unix machine. I don't need a book
on Forth because I already know it. Forth is the hardware
persons secret tool, don't tell software types, they won't
understand.
Dwight