SUNOS 5.4 Root Password

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Tue Mar 28 02:13:59 2000

On Mar 28, 1:26, Technoid_at_cheta.net wrote:
> In <38E04821.4B8943AE_at_mainecoon.com>, on 03/28/00
> at 01:26 AM, Chris Kennedy <chris_at_mainecoon.com> said:

> >Is this a Sun cdrom drive? Random SCSI cdrom drives are prone to not
> >working unless they have a sun-specific hack to make the ID string they
> >return something identifiable to the boot prom. Differing Suns have
> >differing ways of refering to CDROM drives, and some insist that the
> >CDROM drive show up as ID 6. Have you tried using the prom diagnostics
> >to probe the bus to see who is home?
>
> I figured the id6 thing out by inferring from other info I hit on the web
> which was pretty slim on specifics. The drive is 6 and is a Toshiba
> XM-3701b.

> Maybe I need a single-speed cdrom?

Some older Sun boot PROMs won't recogise a CDROM unless set for 512-byte
blocks. Although the 3601 and later Toshibas recognise the SCSI
mode-select command to switch from normal CDROM 2048-byte operation to
Sun/SGI 512-byte operation, older PROMs don't issue that command. I'm not
sure about a Sparcstation 330, but you may need a drive that can be
explicitly set (such as a Toshiba 3301 or 3401; some Sony and Hitachi
drives also have a switch or jumper.

You might also want to switch from the "old" boot mode (prompt ">") to the
"new" one (prompt "ok ") by typing "n". PROBE-SCSI, HELP, and most other
commands are only available from the "new" prompt.

> BTW there are issues with this machine
> I have not yet resolved such as a parity error on a simm and what I think
> might be a power problem.

I'd fix that first :-)

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull