Research Machines Link 480Z

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 28 16:44:09 2000

Hi Tony,

>>> 2 Recorder 1 motor control (TTL level)
>>> 7 Recorder 2 motor control (TTL level).
>>
>> Woah, back up there....TTL level???
>
> Yes. Come straight from a 74LS273 chip (IC1 on the VDU card if
>it matters).

:-)

> One thing that might matter here is that my 'Information File'
>(Technical Manual) is for 'disk systems'. It's possible that
>cassette-only machines have the relays inside the CPU box....

I've got a feeling that my set of manuals is also for the disc based
systems.

<later>
OK, I've gone and dug them out. I'm fairly certain that these are all that I
have:

    380Z Disc System Users Guide (CP/M 2.2 Users Guide)
    380Z Disc System (Information File)
    Extended BASIC Version 5 For Disc Systems (Reference Manual)
    Extended BASIC Version 5 High Resolution Graphics Level 2 (Supplement)
    380Z Disc BASIC Release Notes.
    ZASM Z80-Assembler (printed on a dot matrix printer)
    TXED REFERENCE CARD
    High Resolution Graphics Reference Manual
    COS 3.4 Reference Manual
    COS 4.0 Differences from COS 3.4

No real mention of cassette systems. It does state in the "Information File"
that only 40-column display machines have the cassette interface, it being
omitted from the 80-column display card.

> The 'standard' recorder was a Hitachi TRQ-299R according to the
>manual.

Just as an aside, I *THINK* that's the same cassette recorder which appeared
in early Atari advertising as the "410" (I have a b/w photo of one labelled
thusly and sat next to an Atari 400).

Needless to say the real 410s were nothing like these.

> If you just have one of them, and don't need motor control, then
>yes, all you need is a cable wit ha 7 pin DIN on one end....

I'm wondering, did the Hitachi recorder allow for motor control via the DIN
socket? ISTR coming across the odd cassette recorder then which did allow
for this.

I ask as I'm certain we had computer control of the motor on ours, but I
don't recall there being a lead which attached to the "remote" socket.

>....As is reference to a 'dummy plug' to turn off the
>internal speaker of the tape recorder.

They also mention such a plug being used to turn off the recorder's internal
condenser microphone.

Now I am really confused....I only recall us using a single "dummy plug" in
the recorder....

> But there's no mention of how the external cassette control unit
>works.

Pretty much the same in my copy I'm afraid.

It mentions there being some sort of switch on the unit, and also mentions
that the convention is to wire up the first recorder for playback only and
the second for recording only.

Other than details of how to make your own lead that's all there is in my
manuals.

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)