Research Machines Link 480Z

From: Peter Pachla <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 28 13:11:58 2000

Hi Tony,

>> So that makes at least two "spotted in the wild"....
>
> Indeed, well, unless the chap managed to find the cables,
>disks, manuals, etc....

Possible I suppose, he was looking for manuals and discs. I did offer to
give him my set of manuals but he never did ring me about them.

> The Hires card is fun :-). It's not a high resolution by today's
>standards, but it wasn't too bad for the time. The colour output
>option plugs into the hires card....

Quite, it was the highest resolution display I'd used at the time - the only
other machines I'd used to any great extent at the time were a PET, a Nascom
II and my ZX-80....

We never had the colour option. :-(

> We had one of these at school. I remember being asked (and
>succeeding in doing) to modify a large/expensive Barco monitor to
>take RGB inputs....
>....learnt the value of good service data and schematics (which
>both RML and Barco provided).

Yep, back in those days you pretty much ALWAYS got at least the schematics
with such equipment. It's something I really miss....and I was more than a
little miffed that my ZX-80 (pre-assembled) didn't come with such
documentation when it finally arrived.

  TTFN - Pete.

--
Hardware & Software Engineer. Sound Engineer.
Collector of Arcade Machines, Games Consoles & Obsolete Computers (esp DEC)