Research Machines Link 480Z

From: Julian Richardson <JRichardson_at_softwright.co.uk>
Date: Wed Mar 29 02:55:04 2000

>> IIRC at least one of the RML winchester systems was a box about the size
>> of a 380Z with a PSU, ST506-interfaced drive and a SASI-ST506 interface
>> card. I assume the 380Z interface was a SASI host adapter or something.

that sounds like what I maybe have.... never seen a 380Z so I don't
know. I've got five or six 480Z machines though, three or four of them
with network interfaces, and then two big black metal cabinets - one
houses the hard drive, and from memory the other contains either
controller logic or floppy drives (these things have been sitting in
sotrage for the last 4 years, so it's been a while since I've seen
them!)

pretty nifty stuff though, I must dig them all out again some day...
(they were given to me along with my Diamond wordprocessor, which was
the main find, so I only ever powered up the 480's to check that they
could talk to the disk unit before they got stored...)

someday I will have the time and space to fire these things up again and
have a serious play around with them...

cheers

Jules