PDP11/23 More dumb questions

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Wed Mar 29 14:10:54 2000

On Mar 30, 0:17, Olminkhof wrote:

> Anyway, Control C doesn't work and I can no longer repeat getting to an
_at_
> prompt, instead getting a lot of backward ? characters at times.
> I'm now using the console port but have lost confidence in the terminal
and
> serial cable completely. I discovered the baud setting control for the
ports
> after I blew the dust out of the little window. Set the port to 4800
baud,
> the default setting on the VT220. All for no consistent result. Tried 110
> baud on both with no result

If the system is using the SLUs on the MXV11-B, the little window is
meaningless, as the baud rate etc on the MXV11 has to be set by rejumpering
several links, often with wire wrap. There's no handy way of connecting a
selector switch.

> I switched to a straight though 25 wire serial cable and got absolutely
no
> communication, . . added a null modem and got a little garbage . .
changed
> from the default VT200 mode 7 bit controls to some of the others . . .
all
> to no result.

Try connecting directly to the 10-pin connector on the left side of the
MXV11, start it up, and hit the HALT button. You should get an address and
an ODT prompt. You should get another prompt every time you press RUN, if
HALT is still pressed in. Assuming the panel is connected to the backplane
correctly.

The MXV11-B only supports 300/1200/9600/38400 baud. J9,J10,J11 control the
setting for SLU0, J7,J8,J9 control SLU1 (the console port). 9600 is J9 to
J10, and J8 to J9. J61 to J62 forces SLU1 to be the console.

It's also possible that you have some kind of custom bootstrap in it.
 MXV11-Bs were sometimes sold without boot ROMs (the standrd ROM set is
known as the B2 ROM set, and marked as such), and use the same software
arrangement as the MRV11-D ROM board, so people were able to roll their own
using information in the MRV11-D manual.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science