Prime 2455

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Wed Mar 29 13:54:46 2000

On Mar 29, 13:41, Bill Pechter wrote:
> > In article <00ce01bf990a$26953aa0$03e893c3_at_proteus>, Peter Pachla
> > <peter.pachla_at_wintermute.org.uk> writes

> > I have an external tape drive which I am told came from a Prime of some
> > sort which you can have. I don't know what sort of tape it takes as I
> > didn't get any with it. Perhaps someone else on the list could say
> > whether it is any use to you. It has no external markings except for a
> > sticker showing that it passed statutory testing in 1988. The drive
> > itself is an Exabyte Model EXB 8200, does anyone recognise this?

> It's an 8mm 112M Exabyte... www.exabyte.com. Works great with any
> SCSI single ended (usually) interface.

I have two here, one sold originally as a PDP-11/83 add-on, and one from a
Pr1me. I upgraded the firmware in the older one using code from
www.exabyte.com, and both work very nicely on my Unix machines and an Acorn
Archimedes. They don't do compression and the standard 8200 doesn't have
the high-speed search that the 8200S has, but they handle a reasonable data
rate and hold around 2.2GB per tape. Lots of people use 8mm video tape; I
prefer to use proper data cartridges, though.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science